Wednesday, March 23, 2011

AHD Opportunities and Experiences, by Amber Woyak, Assistant Hall Director, Allen Hall

As I finish my second year as an Assistant Hall Director (AHD) at Southern Illinois University Carbondale (SIUC), I look back and realize all the great experiences I have had. During my two years, I have had the opportunity to work in two different areas, Brush Towers and University Park. Both years have provided me with the knowledge and experience that I will be able to take with me as I continue in the field of Student Affairs.

I would first like to touch on my experience during my first year as an AHD. I was an AHD in Mae Smith, which is one of the two high-rise towers in Brush Towers. My main role there was to serve as the Hall Council Advisor. Since that time, SIUC has moved to Area Councils. While at Mae Smith, the building was very fortunate to have an active hall council. Some of the programs that they put on include; Hawaiian Night, Stop light party, Valentine’s Day meet and greet and a Regional OTM award winning Balloon party.

Advising the Hall Council was not the only role I played in Mae Smith. I was also able to serve on committees within the department. This was a great chance to partake in professional development while also contributing to the department. I met once a month with each of the 32 Resident Assistant to talk about schoolwork and upcoming academic plans they had for the future. I was able to help prepare the graduating RAs for interviews, look over resumes and help returning RAs plan for their next semester, academically and professionally.

As my first year as an Assistant Hall Director was ending, I reached out to my supervisor and asked to transfer areas. I wanted to gain a different experience that would help me in the future. I was placed in Allen Hall, part of University Park. While I have been in Allen Hall, I have had the opportunity to help the RAs with their programming activities. I am able to brainstorm programming ideas with the both the RA staff and the Peer Mentors in the building as well as track their programming funds. I also lead the weekly RA staff meetings and help the RAs plan their monthly professional development presentations.

Being an AHD is not the only role I have had in my two years at SIUC. I am also a Graduate Assistant in the Housing Programming Office (HPO). This office is part of Education and Outreach and has a lot of programming resources for the RAs and housing student organizations to access. Since I have been part of that office, I have created the housing programming accountant manual, as well as created training presentations for purchase authorizations forms and the equipment that can be checked out by the staff members. By having additional assistantship, I have gained additional skills, like working with multiple budgets, which will be beneficial to me in my future.

My two years came and went very quickly. I am grateful for the experience that I have had as I know it has prepared me for a future career in Student Affairs. Many opportunities are available for graduate assistant within SIUC Residence Life and SIUC as a whole; you just have to be willing to take advantage of the offers.

No comments:

Post a Comment