Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Co-Supervision by Ericka Harrison, Schneider Hall Director

When I was job searching I was looking for a University that would allow for me to be part of a team. I have played sports my whole life and was a Division One Athlete, being a team player is all I know. Southern Illinois University Carbondale (SIUC) allows for me to be part of a team, not only a Residence Life team member, but I work in a Residence Hall that requires four of us to work as a team.

At SIUC, our towers are composed of two Hall Directors (HD), two Assistant Hall Directors (AHD), and 28-32 Resident Assistants (RA). In order for the building to function, teamwork is a must. When arriving to SIUC, I worked with my hall partner to plan out our supervision structure. We chose to divide the staff in half, I would supervise 16 RAs and one AHD directly and he would do the same. We decided that we wanted the building to run as a whole, so we made sure to keep our staff meetings together and to oversee all administrative responsibilities as one.

My hall partner and I found out early in the year that communication was key to our success. Our supervisor created two on ones that would allow us to express our concerns and to work out the kinks in co-supervision. My hall partner and I found out that we had to consult with one another before making important decisions. We also learned to carbon copy one another on every email and utilize each other’s calendars. In the beginning, it was a very difficult transition; however, now it is an amazing experience.

Co-supervision has allowed me to learn from others and to be part of a team. I have learned from my hall partner patience and how to relate to others. I have received advice on supervision, advising, and learned so much about NRHH and RHA due to his involvement. His passions become part of mine because we have grown to care about one another’s success and dreams. When he is excited about something, I am the first to hear about it because our offices are connected and we have developed a personal relationship.

I recently got married in January, due to having a hall partner I was able to enjoy my wedding and honeymoon and not worry while I was away. My hall partner and I made a plan before my departure and when I returned it was as if I was never gone. The building functioned because my hall partner knew my preferences and could fulfill my role as well as his.

Overall, co-supervision has led to a lot of self reflection. I am a competitor at heart, therefore I tend to compare myself to my hall partner. It makes me self reflect and figure out what my strengths are. I have learned to use my strengths to not only better myself but those around me. Co-supervision is an amazing way to learn from others and experience al l aspects of the job.

If you would like to learn more about co-supervision, I presented at GLACUHO with Steven Yeagley who is also a HD at SIUC! We created a prezi, click co-supervision to check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment