Monday, May 23, 2011

Life as a Non-CSP Assistant Hall Director, by Allison Poulos, Assistant Hall Director, Wall & Grand Apartments

Hello all! My name is Allison and I am a first year Assistant Hall Director for Wall & Grand Apartments at SIUC. Since all AHDs are required to be enrolled in a graduate program, many of my fellow Assistant Hall Directors are students in the graduate College Student Personnel (CSP) program. My path is a little different, as I am currently a student in the graduate School of Social Work, working hard for my MSW. I’d like to take some time and give you a glimpse of what it’s like to hold a Residence Life position while enrolled in a graduate program other than CSP!

One of the strengths of working in both the Social Work field and the Student Affairs field is that many of the situations I encounter are similar and require the same type of knowledge and action. For example, while working at my internship for my classes, I may run into a client who needs assistance getting connected with public aid or counseling services. Likewise, while working as an AHD, I may encounter a student who is looking for a resource to assist in financial aid or information about the Counseling Center. In both positions, it’s important to be knowledgeable of campus and community resources in order to provide the greatest amount of help to a wide spectrum of people.

One of the challenges of not being involved in the CSP program is my lack in understanding the most recent teachings in Student Development Theory. While at times it can be frustrating to feel out of the loop, I often turn to my amazing co-workers who will gladly fill me in on what it means to be a “millennial student” or a “helicopter parent.” Another challenge is time management! As I am equally devoted to Social Work and Residence Life, it can be difficult at times to balance 15 credits of classes, 20+ weekly hours at my internship, and 10+ weekly hours as an AHD – not to mention duty! While challenging, it is doable and very much prepares you for the kind of skills you will need refined by the time you graduate.

When working in Student Affairs, there are many situations that require, and benefit from, the actions of professionals with specific training and experience; I am lucky that Social Work and Student Affairs are so parallel in that I can take what I have learned from one field and apply it to another. There have been many times in class when I have been able to relate the material we are learning about to an experience that I’ve been a part of as an AHD. Likewise, when I have been approached by residents or Resident Assistants (RAs) who are going through a tough time, it’s easy to pull resources from my social work experiences to be able to help them out.

Another great outlet for me to be able to dually enhance my skills in both fields is the opportunity to be involved in Departmental Committees. I am currently a member of the Social Justice Committee which includes fellow AHDs, as well as Hall Directors, who hold professional degrees in various programs, including CSP.

No matter what graduate degree you may be seeking, there is a way to connect and enhance your learning, and the learning of others, by being an AHD. Just as we have many fabulous RAs who are in programs ranging from architecture to zoology, there is a vast amount of graduate programs that can be related to Student Affairs. It is a wonderful balance to be able to look to my peers and coworkers when I need specific advice about Student Affairs procedures, and also to be able to share my Social Work abilities with them when need be. It is an effective and beneficial way to enhance your personal and professional life skills, no matter which graduate program you choose!

** - Allison just graduated from SIU's MSW program in May 2011. Congratulations Allison!!

No comments:

Post a Comment