Monday, July 15, 2013

My First Week by Travis Tucker

SIU Residence Life has some great things going on, and we want to showcase some of our proud moments on our blog. We also hope people considering working in RA, graduate assistant, or full-time positions with our department will take a minute to learn more about the things we are doing. More information about our department, including position descriptions, application information, and graduate and full-time staff profiles can be found on our recruitment website.

Today's blog post was written by Travis T. Tucker. Travis began working at SIU on July 1, 2013, and is one of three Hall Directors in West Campus. Travis recently completed a Master's degree at Miami University, and his undergraduate work was done at the University of Akron.

My First Week
As I spent my Friday evening packing up my belongings in preparation for the move from my hometown of Cleveland, Ohio to Carbondale, I thought about the amazing journey that I was about to begin. And it was not just in relation to the 8.5 hour drive that I had in store the next day! Much of my last 6 months of grad school had been devoted to the much talked about job search; endless hours researching, prepping, and of course interviewing for positions. Throughout that time, I was looking for a place that would provide me the space I needed to grow and provide the day to day challenges that would make me a better practitioner. I also wanted a place that spoke to my passion areas of social justice and student development theory, as I see both to be crucial to my work with students. From my first interview with SIU at The PlacementExchange (TPE) and now through my first week on the job, I have seen these same values espoused in their professionals and so much more.  I am excited to work with a group of caring, compassionate, funny, and engaged co-workers. They have helped take many of those jitters that come with starting something new and have replaced them with the comfort that I made the right choice. Everyone that I have met, whether they are from our Residence Life staff, University Housing, or from the Carbondale community at large, has visible allegiance to SIU and their beloved Salukis. It is hard not to catch it yourself! As I move to my second week and beyond, I look forward to the rest of our time in training, but also meeting and building my relationships with my graduate student and RA staff. The sky is truly the limit and I look forward to a great future. Go Salukis!

No comments:

Post a Comment