Monday, April 11, 2011

Families on Campus - Steven Yeagley, Wall and Grand Apartments Hall Director

I have a 14-month-old girl sitting in my lap trying to write this post (she’s only using the letters z, x and c, so I’m doing my best to translate).

When I did my first professional search three years ago, I was looking for a department where my wife would be accepted as part of the department’s “family” and a place where we would be supported if we decided to have a kid. From Assistant Hall Directors and Hall Directors through our Associate Director of Residence Life, there are a number of partners and families who have lived on campus. SIUC is a great place for partners and children and the support we’ve received has been amazing.

To begin with, your partner receives a meal plan as well, which my family takes advantage of. In our busy schedule, it allows my family to join me and the staff for meals during the day. My wife, Liz, has been involved in the department and has made an impact while we’ve been here. She has assisted side-by-side with the professionals during a major storm by volunteering with University Dining to serve the surrounding community. Many of the events we have as a staff are “family friendly.” The level to which your family wants to be included is really up to you, though.

It's just nice to know sometimes that the family you live with can also be involved with the "family" you work with. As for Liz and Sydney, if you visit campus I have no doubt you’ll meet them.

No comments:

Post a Comment