Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Meet the RAs! - Savannah McCord

SIU Residence Life has some great things going on, and we want to showcase some of our proud moments on our blog. We also hope people considering working in RAgraduate assistant, or full-time positions with our department will take a minute to learn more about the things we are doing. More information about our department, including position descriptions, application information, and graduate and full-time staff profiles can be found on our recruitment website.

As we recruit new Resident Assistants for the 2014-2015 year, we wanted to introduce a few of the talented individuals currently on our team. This profile features Savannah McCord, RA in Neely Hall.


1) What's your name? Savannah McCord

2) Where are you from? Sorry to the many Sox and Cubs fans from the Chicago area, but I'm a Cards Fan from the Good 'Ole St. Louis!

3) What's your major? I am currently double Majoring in Business Management and Psychology!

4) What is the best program or event you'd been to on campus? The easiest answer to that question is Dawg's Night Out, however, I am also personally a huge fan of the Football games. As far as Housing events go, my favorite event that has ever taken place was the Baking Scavenger Hunt and Competition we had on my floor!

5) What was the last book you read for fun? The last book I read for fun was The Fault in Our Stars by JohnGreen

6) What is your favorite thing about being an RA? Being an RA has been the most fulfilling experience of my time here in Carbondale, tied with being a Feature Twirler. I find incredible joy in seeing the residents prosper as they grow into themselves and as they mature throughout the school year. We always find time to have fun and maintain good grades, and it makes living in a Residence Hall as both an RA and a resident incredibly joyful!

7) How else are you involved at SIU? In addition to my RA position, I am also a Feature Twirler with the MarchingSalukis. Every Fall semester, you can see me with the Marching Band twirling my heart out! I am also a Research Assistant with the Southern Illinois Twins andSiblings Study (SITSS) Lab. I also hold a VP position in Psi Chi (the Psychology Honors Society and Academic Fraternity), and am currently getting ready to take part in pioneering an organization on campus through the Center for Inclusive Excellence (coming soon!)!

8) Where do you see yourself in 10 years? In 10 years, I will be approaching my 30s, and by then I am hoping to have obtained my Master's degree in Counseling and working with adolescents and young adults, alongside beginning my family and working on a Ph.D!

9) Favorite quote? "If your dreams do not scare you, they are not big enough." - Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, President of Liberia

10) What do you do to unwind when you're feeling stressed? Whenever I am feeling stressed out, physical activity is my way to unwind! I love getting up and going for a run, dancing my stress away in Zumba, or doing some self-calming in yoga!


Interested in the Resident Assistant position? Apply today! http://www.housing.siu.edu/positions/resident-assistant

Are you an RA and would like to be featured? Talk to your Hall Director about submitting your profile information.

No comments:

Post a Comment