Sunday, January 26, 2014

Meet the RAs! - Elizabeth Nielsen

SIU Residence Life has some great things going on, and we want to showcase some of our proud moments on our blog. We also hope people considering working in RA, graduate assistant, or full-time positions with our department will take a minute to learn more about the things we are doing. More information about our department, including position descriptions, application information, and graduate and full-time staff profiles can be found on our recruitment website.

As we recruit new Resident Assistants for the 2014-2015 year, we wanted to introduce a few of the talented individuals currently on our team. This profile features Elizabeth Nielsen, RA in Schneider Hall.



1. What's your name? Elizabeth Nielsen, but most people call me Liz.

2. Where are you from? Mahomet, IL

3. What's your major? I'm going for two BA degrees- one in Theater, the other in Political Science.

4. What is the best program or event you've been to on campus? My favorite event of the year is that first Dawg's Nite Out, the first week of each fall semester. I also enjoy cheering on our Salukis with the band at both Men's and Women's basketball games, volleyball matches, and football.

5. What was the last book you read for fun? I'm currently working through the A Song of Ice and Fire series- reading A Clash of Kings.

6. What is your favorite thing about being an RA? I really enjoy high-pressure, or bizarre duty situations. Of course, I've met and worked with many interesting people too and have made some friends.

7. How else are you involved at SIU (in addition to being an RA)? I get to use the phrase "I'm with the band" pretty much every week. I'm a Drum Major for the Marching Salukis, as well as Uniform Chair. I play Piccolo in the Pep Band and Symphonic Band. I've designed costumes for student films, and am designing for another one this semester. I work a second job sewing, and occasionally draping clothes in the Theater Department Costume Shop, and am President of our school's student chapter of USITT (United States Institute of Theater Technology), an organization for theater technicians.

8. Where do you see yourself in 10 years? Somewhere in the United States, with a Master's degree, employed in a field I like, living in a castle in the middle of a woods, with a moat that doubles as a swimming pool, complete with a library and bookcase that spins into secret passageways.

9. What is your favorite quote? I have a few favorites:
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain (Samuel Clemens)
"Act well your part; there all the honor lies." - Thespian motto (Alexander Pope)
"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." - J.R.R. Tolkien (Frodo Baggins quoting Bilbo Baggins)


10. What do you do to unwind when you're feeling stressed? I do warm-ups I've learned from Theater acting classes- with breathing, vocal and physical exercises, these tend to be super relaxing, both for the mind and body. When I'm done, I feel like I can face the world again.

Interested in the Resident Assistant position? Apply today! http://www.housing.siu.edu/positions/resident-assistant

Are you an RA and would like to be featured? Talk to your Hall Director about submitting your profile information.

No comments:

Post a Comment