Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Meet the RAs! - Jessica Carron

SIU Residence Life has some great things going on, and we want to showcase some of our proud moments on our blog. We also hope people considering working in RA, graduate assistant, or full-time positions with our department will take a minute to learn more about the things we are doing. More information about our department, including position descriptions, application information, and graduate and full-time staff profiles can be found on our recruitment website.

As we recruit new Resident Assistants for the 2014-2015 year, we wanted to introduce a few of the talented individuals currently on our team. This profile features Jessica Carron, RA in the Wall & Grand Apartments!


What’s your name? Jessica Carron

Where are you from? Germantown, IL 

What’s your major? History and Journalism with a Specialization in Advertising 
 
What is the best program or event you’ve been to on campus? I love Week of Welcome, because there is so much to do and it's a time of constant mingling with new people. There's a lot of free stuff too, and as a true college student, I appreciate anything free. 
  
What was the last book you read for fun? I read Game of Thrones over winter break, and I am currently working on the second book. It's so good, but constantly breaks my heart.

What is your favorite thing about being an RA? I love getting to know my residents. Everyone has a different story and I learn something new every day. I also love decorating the floor with bulletin boards and door decs and advertisements. Who wouldn't love getting paid to do craft time? 

How else are you involved at SIU (in addition to being an RA)? I am a desk assistant at Mae Smith, Vice President of PR and Advertising for the National Residence Hall Honorary, and a member of SIU LifeSavers and Future Leaders in Student Affairs. I'm also a Chancellor Scholar and a part of the Honors Program.

Where do you see yourself in 10 years? I am hoping to be working at a university in some way; either in housing, academic advising or even teaching. It would be even better if I were working outside of the United States. Here's hoping!

What is your favorite quote? "Spread love everywhere you go. Let no one come to you without leaving happier." - Mother Teresa 

What do you do to unwind when you’re feeling stressed? I like to watch movies, read, draw or nap. Mostly nap.

Interested in the Resident Assistant position? Apply today! http://www.housing.siu.edu/positions/resident-assistant

Are you an RA and would like to be featured? Talk to your Hall Director about submitting your profile information.

No comments:

Post a Comment